Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Strange dreams

I'm at work. I've run out of things to do, the phone won't ring, and I'm waiting for my lunch break, so I'm going to post about something has been puzzling me lately. I don't often remember my dreams, but there are a few recurring dreams that have had me confused for a while. Now they are even more puzzling because, you see, my brother has the very SAME dreams!

Okay, so let me describe these dreams:

1) I'm driving my car, and at the four-way stop that is a couple of blocks away from my house, I try to apply the breaks, but they won't work. Not only that, I'm going pretty fast down a residential street. Luckily, no one else is at the stop so I just speed on through (freaking out, though). There's one more residential intersection coming up, then there's one of the very busy streets. I panic because I don't know what to do, then I usually wake up.

2) I'm usually in my house (well, my old house...which had stairs), and I wake up to go get a drink of water or something. The problem is, I can't really see where I'm going. It feels like I can't open my eyes past about a squint, so I see a lot of black and a lot of blur. No matter what I do, I can't open my eyes. It's terrible, really. Recently, I've started having dreams where I'm elsewhere during the day, and I can't see. I have to shuffle along, feeling my way as I go.

3) I can fly. Sort of. More like I can run in the air. Most of the time, I'm being chased by someone, so I just build up my speed enough that I life up off of the ground. I can get pretty high, though...like two or three stories up in the air. What's strange is that it's not quite flying, and it's not quite running in the air. It's more like one of those Nintendo Super Mario jumps or something where the character jumps across a fiery pit or a pool or piranhas, but it feels like it's in slow motion. When I jump, I can probably stay up in the air for about fifty yards or so...until my legs get tired.

Okay, so those are the three dreams. In the past couple of weeks, they've come up a few times and Bryant and I have discovered that they are common to both of us. Is that weird? Because Bryant and I are nothing alike, really.

What I want to know is, do other siblings have the same dreams? Or has anyone else had these dreams? Are they just common dreams? And if so, what's their meaning? I can see how the malfunctioning breaks could be a common dream among young drivers, but the other two seem a little strange. Help me out because it's driving me crazy!

While we're on the subject of dreams and Bryant, I'll share another dream that I used to have frequently. We are at our cabin in Cloudcroft (we were young...I was like 8 and Bryant was 5), and there is an old lady who lived a little ways down the mountain. Strangely, she looks like the character, Strega Nona, in the book by Tomie DePaola that I used to read where Strega Nona was making spaghetti and she made so much that it filled up her entire house and started to pour out of the windows. Also, strangely, she has a very large cauldron the size of a swimming pool in her cabin. One day I wander down there and befriend the lady. I tell her of my annoying little brother and how I am the only girl, stuck in a cabin and surrounded by boys. She feels sorry for me and tells me that if I bring my brother with me next time, she'll boil him in the cauldron for me; however, she couldn't boil my cousins because I could not give consent on their behalf.

I can't remember if I ever actually reached the point in my dream where I took my brother down there to be boiled. It was a dream that I had at least twice a year for about 5 years, though.

No comments: